This post ought to begin with “it was a dark and stormy night” Because it was. I was driving through the rain, on a stretch of back road, on my way home from work. It was close to midnight and, as I approached the intersection of Locust and rte 641, I saw a tractor-trailer on the road just ahead of me.
I kept my eyes on his tail lights, until I saw the truck pull across the road and back into a space next to an old abandoned barn and chicken coop. As I approached the curve myself, the driver tuned his lights off. When I passed the barn, the trailer was just a barely-distinguishable shape behind the ruin.
Not wanting to stop and confront a tractor trailer in the dark, I drove on by. But I had an overwhelming feeling of suddenly being trust into the plot of a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys Mystery.Lots of questions occurred to me.
- Why would anyone need to park a tractor trailer at that site?
- If the driver wanted to sleep, there were lots of other, more accessible free truck stops and off-the-road spaces to rest;
- Why would he wait until midnight to show up?
- Why did he turn his lights off when he saw me coming?
- What was so urgent that he had to go there in the rain?